An RBS headquarters in Edinburgh and Glasgow University were evacuated after suspicious packages were found.

Police were called to both buildings following the alerts on Wednesday morning.

Officers have confirmed they are liaising with the Met Police in relation to their investigation into packages received in London yesterday.

The package sent to Glasgow University was not opened and a controlled explosion was carried out by EOD.

The emergency services were alerted and several buildings within the estate were evacuated as a precaution.

A number of police cordons in and around University Avenue remain in place until further notice.

Officers say there is no ongoing risk to the public.

Workers at the RBS building in Gogarburn in Edinburgh were evacuated while students and staff at Glasgow University were also escorted from their campus.

Police said the RBS evacuation was sparked by a package containing promotional goods.

A spokesman said: "Enquiries have established the package posed no risk to the public and contained promotional goods.

"The area surrounding the building has been reopened and the public are thanked for their patience whilst this incident was ongoing.

"Several roads are still closed while investigations are being carried out regarding the packages."

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "At around 10.50am on Wednesday, police received two reports of suspicious packages found at the University of Glasgow and the Royal Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh.

"Emergency services are in attendance and both buildings have been evacuated.

"At this stage there is nothing to link these incidents. The items will be examined and enquiries are ongoing."

A Glasgow University spokeswoman added: "We apologise to all staff and students who have suffered disruption and thank everyone for their patience and understanding as police dealt with this incident."

The discoveries come just a day after three packages containing explosives were found at Heathrow Airport, London City Airport and Waterloo station.

The "small improvised explosive devices" were found in A4 postal bags.

The University confirmed the incident was over just after 4pm.

Assistant chief constable Steve said: "There is no ongoing risk to the public. Police Scotland is liaising with the Metropolitan Police in relation to their investigation into packages received in London.

"However, it is too early to say whether there is a link."

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon thanked the police and university for their response.

She said on Twitter: "Important to have calm vigilance from the public while police enquiries continue."