A teenager who stabbed his neighbour and robbed him of £100 in a Boxing Day attack has been jailed for four years.

The 17-year-old, who had been invited into the man's home for a drink, slashed him on the neck and stabbed him in the back during the unprovoked assault in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire,on December 26, last year.

At the High Court in Edinburgh on Wednesday judge Lady Scott told the youngster that she had no other option but to send him to prison and ordered him to be supervised by the authorities for two years following his release.

She also said his sentence would have been more if he had gone to trial.

The 17-year-old, who has a previous conviction for assault to severe injury, admitted attempted murder at the High Court in Glasgow last month.

At proceedings last month, the court heard how the victim was a 48-year-old neighbour of the accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and there was no history of bad feeling between them.

In the early hours of Boxing Day the man went outside for a smoke and saw the teenager who was also smoking.

The two started chatting and the neighbour invited the boy in for a drink.

After they had a few drinks the accused produced a knife from the waistband of his trousers without warning and struck the man on the left side of his neck and shouted: "Where's your f***ing money."

The neighbour handed over £100, but the 17-year-old demanded more cash and became more aggressive.

Prosecutor Mark McGuire said: "The accused repeatedly nicked the complainer's neck with the knife which caused him to fear for his life."

The 48-year-old managed to ran out of his house to a nearby house leaving a trail of blood, before collapsing.

The man had been stabbed in the back and suffered multiple slash wounds to his left side of his neck which required stitches.

He suffered a collapsed lung due to the stab wound and had to have a chest drain inserted, but did not require surgery.

The 17-year-old also admitted stealing his neighbour's car, drink driving and having no licence or insurance.

The offences were committed in Howletnest Road and Knox Street, Airdrie.

The teenager was seen by police leaving the car in Knox Street holding a Buckfast bottle in his hand and then returning to the car and throwing the bottle into it.

The neighbour confirmed that his car had been parked outside his home and he had not given the accused permission to drive it.

The court was told the accused has a record of previous convictions which began when he was 15.

He has five convictions one of which involved a metal pole, another a baseball bat, and one for possession of a knife.

On Wednesday, defence advocate Margaret Breslin told the court how her client had been recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and urged the court to be as lenient with him as possible.