Go to STV News

Scots Ebola nurse Pauline Cafferkey flown to London hospital

The nurse was being transferred by RAF plane after falling ill for a third time.

By STV News

Published 23 Feb 2016.

Scots Ebola nurse Pauline Cafferkey has been admitted to hospital for a third time after contracting the virus two years ago.

She returned to hospital on Tuesday and was being treated at Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth University hospital. Medical staff described her condition as stable before it was confirmed she was being moved to hospital in London.

Ms Cafferkey will be transferred on an RAF plane to the infectious diseases unit at the Royal Free Hospital in London on Tuesday afternoon.

A statement from the hospital said: "We can confirm that Pauline Cafferkey is being transferred to the Royal Free Hospital due to a late complication from her previous infection by the Ebola virus.

"She will now be treated by the hospital's infectious diseases team under nationally agreed guidelines.

"The Ebola virus can only be transmitted by direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected person while they are symptomatic so the risk to the general public remains low and the NHS has well established and practised infection control procedures in place."

She became critically ill again late last year from meningitis triggered by a hidden reservoir of Ebola virus in her nervous system.

She made a full recovery after contracting the illness for a second time and was released from an infectious diseases unit in London in November.

The sudden onset of illness, which resulted in her being flown back to the infectious diseases unit of the Royal Free Hospital in London which treated her on her return from Sierra Leone, shocked doctors.

Until then, it was not understood the Ebola virus could linger and cause disease nine months later.

An NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde spokesman said: "Ms Cafferkey was admitted to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital under routine monitoring by the infectious diseases unit.

"She is undergoing further investigations and her condition remains stable."

The 39-year-old Scot, who contracted Ebola for the first time in December 2014, was re-admitted to the isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital in north-west London on October 9, months after she was thought to have fought off the infection.

At one point she was described as "critically ill" but the Royal Free later announced she had been discharged from its care and transferred to Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to continue her recovery.

Speaking before she returned to Scotland, Mrs Cafferkey said: "I am forever thankful for the amazing care I have received at the Royal Free Hospital.

"For a second time, staff across many departments of the hospital have worked incredibly hard to help me recover and I will always be grateful to them and the NHS.

"I am looking forward to returning to Scotland and to seeing my family and friends again."