Joey Barton has left Rangers by mutual agreement after a turbulent short stay with the Ibrox club.

The midfielder's departure from the club has been finalised while he is absent with stress, following a six-week suspension over a training ground bust-up.

The highest profile recruit from Rangers' summer transfer business is now a free agent and can sign for a new club from January.

In a brief statement, a club spokesman said: "Rangers and Joey Barton have agreed to terminate his contract with immediate effect. Neither Rangers nor Joey Barton will comment further."

Barton was initially told to stay away from club for a three-week period following a row with Mark Warburton and team-mate Andy Halliday after the side lost 5-1 at Celtic Park.

During that time he was charged with breaching the Scottish FA's gambling rules by betting on 44 football matches between July 1 and September 15, including Celtic's 7-0 Champions League defeat to Barcelona.

The 34-year-old was due to return to training earlier this month but his ban was extended.

After six weeks' suspension Barton returned to Glasgow but was told to train with the club's development squad.

He made just eight appearances and scored no goals for Rangers after his move from Burnley.

Barton will now face the SFA over his alleged breach of gambling regulations as a free agent. The hearing, which was originally scheduled for October 27, has been moved back to November 17.

The Englishman joined Rangers in May after weeks of speculation linking him with the Ibrox side.

He put pen to paper on a two-year deal but missed the club's pre-season training camp in South Carolina due to his criminal record and media commitments.

Barton went on to make his debut in a League Cup fixture at home to Annan before being subjected to Ali Crawford's nutmeg - a video which went viral - on his first league appearance.

Relationships started to fray after Barton voiced his opinions following Rangers' heavy defeat to Celtic.

He referred to Warburton's handling of the affair as "strange" before insisting he had nothing to apologise for.

During his suspension Barton had repeatedly said he wanted to return and fight for his place.