Go to STV News

Pet owners warned after dog dies of contagious disease

Leptospirosis could have been spread after recent flooding in the north east of Scotland.

By STV News

Published 23 Feb 2016.

Vets have urged pet owners to vaccinate their animals after a dog contracted a contagious disease and died in Aberdeen.

Leptospirosis is passed on through the urine of infected animals and recent flooding in the north east may have helped spread the disease.

The infection can be caught by humans and is often fatal, causing health problems like jaundice and organ failure.

Fiona Gregge, senior vet at the Aberdeen PDSA Pet Hospital, said: "The bacteria spread through the urine of an infected animal, often rats.

"Flooding can increase the risk of contracting the disease, which causes symptoms including vomiting, jaundice, lethargy, fever and organ failure."

Vaccinations can help protect pets against the disease and prevent it from spreading further.

Ms Gregge added: "It’s incredibly sad to see a pet suffering like that, especially when a quick vaccination or booster could have prevented this.

"Given the recent flooding in the area, I’d advise all owners to make sure their pets’ vaccinations are up to date.

"Leptospirosis usually requires an annual booster, but check with your vet if you’re not sure.”

Advertisment